What to do if a POA withdrew funds apparently for their own personal gain?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a POA withdrew funds apparently for their own personal gain?

7 days before my mother died from a short illness in hospital, 1 of my sisters withdrew $20,000 from my mother’s checking account. This sister had power of attorney at the time. We do not know what she withdrew the money for but it was deposited into my sister’s account. We already had an account with the money set aside for our mother’s funeral. So we do not know why she would withdraw that large amount of money. In our mother’s Will, we will all get equal shares from her estate. Do we have any legal rights to get that $20,000 returned to be divided equally? Can we get that money back?

Asked on August 9, 2011 Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney. Someone with a power of attorney operates in a fiduciary capacity. That is, he or she has to exercise the power for the benefit or in the interest of the donor of the power (your mother). That's not to say that everyone would have to agree with each course of action--there is room for discretion--but fundamentally, actions taken must be for the donor's benefit. If your sister withdrew money for her own benefit, she acted improperly and it may be able to get the money back for the estate, in which case it will then be available to be distributed as per the will. Therefore, it would seem worth it to consult with an attorney abou this situation in detail, to see exactly what  you can do. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption