If my mom died without a Will, do I inherit her house?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom died without a Will, do I inherit her house?

As long as I continue to make the mortgage payments can I stay? Can I sell the house? I’m 18.

Asked on October 25, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your answer regarding inheriting your mother's house would be yes if your mother was unmarried at the time of her death and you were her only child.  If she was married and/or had other children, that may not be the case.  Assuming you do inherit the house, if there is a mortgate on the home, usually the bank requires you to assume the mortgage, which means that you would take over the mortgage in your own name and credit.  If you would like further assistance, please contact my office, www.socrateslegal.com. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption