What are my rights regarding a possible leak in my unit the is causing mold in a neighbor’s unit?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a possible leak in my unit the is causing mold in a neighbor’s unit?

Yesterday my neighbor, who is also the condo association manager, told me that he had mold on all along a wall in his unit that abuts with my bathroom. He had to replace the entire wallboard. He claimed the mold came from a leaky pipe in my unit. I don’t want to rip my vanity out to see what’s behind there. I only bought the condo a year ago and got a full home inspection that said no mold was present. This could of happened before I bought the unit. He said the association doesn’t have to deal with it because it came directly from my unit but has no proof that it indeed does. What are my rights?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is consult with a licensed contractor to inspect your unit as well as the unit next door in order to ascertain any source of water intrusion between the two units. If there is a possible source of water intrusion, the wall or walls where the water is coming from will need to be opened up.

Based upon what is possibily revealed in the suggested inspection by a third party professional you will have additional knowledge how to proceed with any problem if any concerning possible water intrusion. The suggested inspection will also assist in ascertaining if there is a water intrusion problem, how long the problem has been in place.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption