Modifying alimony

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Modifying alimony

I am currently paying alimony child support a
month the payments are extremely high and I am
unable to keep up. How can I resolve this

Asked on January 9, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances such as a change in income or your financial situation are grounds for a modification of alimony and/or child support.
You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing on the modification of alimony and child support.  Call the court clerk to schedule a hearing and include the hearing date/time/department in your Order to Show Cause.  Also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your request for a modification of alimony and child support.  Include any other documents, items, etc. that provide evidence supporting your argument for a modification of alimony and child support.  File all of these documents and a proof of service with the court. Then, mail a copy of your court-filed documents with the proof of service to your ex to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service (court form) verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.
Prior to filing the above documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any other required documents you need to file for a modification of alimony and child support because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption