Missed a cout date to a driving without a license ticket.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Missed a cout date to a driving without a license ticket.

I missed my court date collections sent a letter to my employment requesting
garnishment of my wages. i want to know hat are the chances that I have an arrest
warrant for it? How do i rectify my error?

Asked on August 21, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you do not show up for a court appearance, in most cases the judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. If a bench warrant has been issued due to your failure to appear, it may only be a matter of time before the police place you under arrest. Even if the police aren’t actively looking to find you since the underlying charge is just a traffic offense, any encounter with them likely will end in your being taken into custody (and just driving down the road can result in your license plate being scanned and matched with the warrant). Additionally, the warrant will show up in an employment background check. At this point, you'll need to voluntarily "turn yourself in" to the court in order to clear this all up. However, you should first consult directly with a criminal law attorney who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can best use their local court contacts to help you with all of this by possibly convincing the judge to quash the warrant and get you a new court date, with no further penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption