misrepresented attorney collected fraudulent debt. My bank won’t dispute the transaction since it was authorized by me. Ifiled a police report

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

misrepresented attorney collected fraudulent debt. My bank won’t dispute the transaction since it was authorized by me. Ifiled a police report

A person called and introduced himself as an attorney for payday loan company. He said that last year a loan was debited into my checking account and since I haven’t paid it back, I am going to jail. He had all my personal information including my social security number.  I said I never got any loan, but he convinced me that somebody used my information to obtain it. He fooled me into giving me my debit card number supposedly to pay back the loan. I was also asked to fax a notorized copy of the letter stating that I paid $575.75.  I didnt,since i went online and found out it’s a scam.

Asked on June 17, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You did the right thing by filing a police report.  You can try to convince the bank that you were defrauded by using the police report, but the bank may refuse to repay it. make sure that you notify all the credit unions of the scam as this person will use your SS# for other things.  You want to be able to catch this person.  If you have the money to hire a lawyer to deal with the bank, that could help as the bank wont want a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption