UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My daughter is in a rural town in Alabama, and was caught holding a drink at an apartment. Do we need to get a lawyer? This is her first time she received a ticket. Will she definitely get her license taken away? Also she is moving back to Georgia before the court case. How does all that work?

Asked on January 24, 2017 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An MIP (minor in possession of alcohol) is a criminal offense punishable by jail time and will appear on a person's criminal history record and turn up in employment background checks, etc. Additionally, they can lose their license even if they were not driving at the time of the incident. However, there are options so that your daughter doesn't have to face a lifetime criminal record. Further, she may not even have to lose her license. There are diversion programs for first-time first or other conditional discharge programs. At this point, you should consult with a DUI attoreny who practices in the area of where the ticket was issued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption