Minor son at fault in rear end

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Minor son at fault in rear end

My son was driving my mothers SUV, with only a permit. He rear ended a truck and the man is trying to sue my mother for 100,000.00. My mothers insurance wants my insurance information. What do I need to do to protect us?

Asked on October 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your son was at fault, which he almost certainly was if he "rear-ended" another car (the rear driver in a collision like that is almost inevitably held to be at fault, because he should have maintained safe following distance and paid attention and been able to stop in time), then there is no way to "protect" yourself. The parent of a minor at-fault driver is liable for the damage or injuries he causes; and the owner of the car whom he was driving is also liable, for letting him drive it. Thus, your mother and you are both liable. Your insurance and hers may pay for you; if it does not, if sued, you will have to pay out of pocket for any loses, costs, damage or injury which can be proven to have been caused by your son. (That is, the other driver can't simply get any number he wants; he must be able to prove the number and show how it was caused by the accident.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption