What to do regarding a minor car accident with no insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a minor car accident with no insurance?

I got into a car accident. I was driving the speed limit 25 miles per hour downhill towards the intersection. The light was green when I started to cross the intersection. A car was turning right with high speed and her passenger seat of the door hit the corner of my left front bumper. She was driving too fast and missed her turn and crossed over to my side of the lane. I bought the insurance on the spot and it said will be effective on the same date. What will happen? Will I lose my driving lesson license? Will I have to pu out of my pocket?

Asked on August 21, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since the other driver was at fault, the fact that you didn't have insurance won't prevent you from filing a property damage claim with the other party's insurance carrier for the cost of repairs to your car.
You won't lose your license because the other party was at fault in the accident and you can now provide proof of insurance.
You won't have to pay out of pocket because the other driver was at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption