Minor arrested and ticketed

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Minor arrested and ticketed

My daughter was arrested for fighting also ticketed. But she was defending herself this is the 2nd time she has been attacked by a gang of female and male. Police wants her to attend a 10week program to avoid any court hearing. I have made the school and the police is aware of what is going on. I have proof that these people did commit this crime. I have the comments made by them from Facebook.

Asked on June 19, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Michigan, here are my initial impressions.  If your daughter was arrested, and there may be valid self-defense claim, she should consult with and/or retain a criminal defense attorney prior to submitting to any "anger management-type" programs.  Although the procedures may be different in Michigan, I do not know under what authority the police can compel anyone to attend any types of counseling/programs.  A judge, or a prosecutor, of course, could make a resolution of the charges contingent upon program participation; however, that would necessarily happen only after your daughter had appeared in court.  Therefore, rather than simply submitting to the police's conditions, I recommend that you consult with and/or retain a defense attorney on your daughter's behalf to evaluate the merits of both the state's case and her defenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption