What are my rights regarding my employment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding my employment?

I am currently working as a visiting nurse and travel over 100 miles a day for a small company. Our work policy says to submit milage weekly. However, due to budgets they are not paying for travel and are giving out $40 gas cards instead, which I have yet to see. If I leave the company, there is a fine because they have paid for advanced schooling for me to become a foot care wound specialist. They are also asking me to go out of my district.

Asked on February 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If there was an agreement or policy to pay you for mileage and you incurred the mileage, they have to pay it to you; however, they can pay it in gas cards instead of cash. If they won't pay it, you could sue them for the money: i.e. for the amount you can prove you travelled and drove and which you can show they would have, under the agreement or employment policy in effect at that time,  reimbursed or paid. So if you incurred mileage under a policy that they would provide compensation, they need to compensate you as per that policy, but unfortunately, if they do not do so voluntarily, your only option is to sue for the money.
2) They can, however, change their travel or mileage policy at will: there is no law requiring that employers pay or reimburse for this. Unless you have a written contract guarantying you this compensation (which agreement is for a fixed or definite length of time, like a one-year contract, and is still in effect or unexpired), they can at any time announce a change to or the end of reimbursement or payment for travel/mileage and from that moment forward, do not need to pay you--though they need to pay for any mileage/travel you incurred prior to the change in policy.
3) Your employer, not you, determines your territory or district: they can ask you to go out of "your" district at will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption