Mental anguish lawsuit or Intentional infliction of emotional distress

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Mental anguish lawsuit or Intentional infliction of emotional distress

I was involved in a traumatic, abusive relationship for 7 months in Massachusetts
in 2012. Because of the relationship I became severely mentally ill and am still ill
and receiving Social Security disability. I’ve been unable to work full time since
2013. Would I be able to file a lawsuit, either Mental anguish lawsuit or
Intentional infliction of emotional distress, against my abuser? Could I at least
file a report with the local police department?

Asked on August 14, 2019 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no lawsuit (or charges) for emotion abuse which is not the result of or coupled with physical abuse or harm or some other inherently illegal behavior (e.g. extortion). That is because the law does not regulate how one person interacts with or treats another person in the absence of physical harm or criminal acts. The law presumes that if a person is in a bad relationship, being treated badly by, etc. another person, he or she, as a free adult, will leave and not interact with that person any longer; if the person refuses to leave and continues to voluntarily (and in the law's eyes, if not held there by illegal threats of violence, etc., it is voluntary to stay) remain in assocation with that other person, he or she cannot later sue for consequences of his or her voluntarily choice an actions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption