medical power of attorney state of Michigan

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

medical power of attorney state of Michigan

I would like to have my sister, who is a nurse, as my medical power of attorney.
I was told that if I am in the hospital system where my sister works, that she
can’t make the decision to cease lift support. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Asked on August 8, 2019 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The law would allow your sister to be the medical POA; it does not restrict her based on her employment. However, her employer could certainly prohibit her from doing this (employers have essentially free rein to make rules or restrictions for their employees). It could also be a violation of her ethical or professional duties as a nurse, to make these decisions for a patient at her hospital system, since there is an inherent conflict of interest (i.e. her duty as nurae may conflict with her durlty to you). You would be best off choosing someone else as your medical POA

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption