Medical and Child Support

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Medical and Child Support

I have been divorced for 13 years and it was finalized in Las Vegas. My ex
husband has since remarried and moved to Colorado and I live in Utah. I am
needing back payments on Medical and more Child Support since he hasn’t taken
them for his visits and I basically have them for 365 days of the year. What can
I do to get the case moved to Utah so I can go back and have him pay the medical
bills since it is in our decree.

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the children are still minors and you need to sue for the back support then you sue in the Children's home state - Utah.  You will have to ask the Court how they wish you to serve the papers (likely hire a process server in CO) and then once served he must appear and answer.  If he does not then he will be in default.  You will get an order and judgement and then you can file that against emplyer or his estate.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption