If my wife and I are separated, do I have right to a car that she’s been driving but which I financed?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I are separated, do I have right to a car that she’s been driving but which I financed?

Me and my wife are living apart. We have been living apart for over 2 1/2 years. I financed a car for her and she has stopped making the payments. Is there anything I can do to get the car back. My credit is suffering because of it. She does not want to give it back.

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The issue is not who financed the car but rather in whose name the car is.  If the title is in your wife's name, you would need to consider seeking a separation order asking the car be given to you or her to refinance the car solely in her name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption