May a supervisor forbid use of a cane/walker for an employee who has a documented chronic condition and under MD care?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

May a supervisor forbid use of a cane/walker for an employee who has a documented chronic condition and under MD care?

This person was on an extended paid medical leave. Has returned with some balance issues and need assistance at times. supposedly was told by supervisor the use of cane/walker was unacceptable in view of the other patients. The worker does not have direct care duties.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the Americans With Disabilities Act enforced by all states in this country, a supervisor cannot legally forbid an employee's use of a cane or walker at work if the employee has medical clearance for its use from his or her treating physician.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption