If the house we shared is legally my ex-wife’s, does she have to pay me half of what the house would sell for on today’s market?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the house we shared is legally my ex-wife’s, does she have to pay me half of what the house would sell for on today’s market?

She has the house and contents and she told me to leave as she has found someone else.

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Family Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the home that you shared with your soon to be former wife is legally her separate property and you have no ownership interests whatosever in it, you will receive no equity interest in it when your marriage is dissolved by a court order and the assets and liabilities of the marriage divided out.

When assets and liabilities of a marriage are divided out in a marriage, they are done so if they are assets of the marriage. Separate property of an individual do not become assets of the marriage unless they are either comingled with marital assets or are intended to be given to the marital community. 

Separate property of one spouse is that spouse's own property and unless comingled or given to the marital estate are not an issue for division during a marital dissolution.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption