Massachusetts Name Change

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

You will find that a name change in Massachusetts is much easier than you might expect. In fact, many people opt to complete this simple legal task on their own. From forms to fees to courts, we can help you get started with information about the process.

What forms are required for a Massachusetts name change?

Massachusetts does not have state-wide name change forms, but each Massachusetts Probate and Family Court has its own forms.

These forms can be found on the Massachusetts Law Library website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Massachussets?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the probate and family court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

No.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Massachusetts?

Yes. Check with your local probate and family court clerk to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your name change after notice is published in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Check with the clerk of your local courthouse for more information on which paper to contact and how long the notice needs to run in the paper.