Massachusetts Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You will find that a name change in Massachusetts is much easier than you might expect. In fact, many people opt to complete this simple legal task on their own. From forms to fees to courts, we can help you get started with information about the process.

What forms are required for a Massachusetts name change?

Massachusetts does not have state-wide name change forms, but each Massachusetts Probate and Family Court has its own forms.

These forms can be found on the Massachusetts Law Library website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Massachussets?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the probate and family court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Massachusetts?

Yes. Check with your local probate and family court clerk to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your name change after notice is published in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Check with the clerk of your local courthouse for more information on which paper to contact and how long the notice needs to run in the paper.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption