If a woman marry a man that owes child support, can she be held liable?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a woman marry a man that owes child support, can she be held liable?

Can the wife’s income be garnished to satisfy the child support if she makes more than the husband or can they use the wife’s income to determine how much child support is paid?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For pre-marital debt, the pay order is like this: his separate property, community property, and your separate property. Theoretically the child support incurred in marraige will be community debt that you would be liable to some extent. You income has no bearing on the support amount. It may, in a sense, lower the support a little since together you would pay more taxes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption