If I was only married 4 months, ismy husband able to request alimony from me?

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was only married 4 months, ismy husband able to request alimony from me?

My ex and I were married 4 months before I asked him to leave. We have no marital property or children and we make similar salaries. He pays 2 child support payments from his check and the house was mine before marriage, in fact everything is in my name, he just moved in. I was told that I could claim an emotional affair to expedite my divorce but warned that my ex could be eligible for alimony if he pressed the issue. How could this be possible after only 4 months of marriage?

Asked on April 17, 2012 under Family Law, South Carolina


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts it is highly unlikely that any alimony would be awareded.  You should file for a non-contested divorce and ask your husband to sign an agreement for no property division (except jointly owned property) and no alimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption