After a husband dies, can his wife legally use existing fertilized eggs to have a second child?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After a husband dies, can his wife legally use existing fertilized eggs to have a second child?

Married man and woman have a child through in vitro process.Husband ten dies. The second child the woman desires is from the left over fertilized eggs from the first in vitro procedure when husband and wife received their first child. Now since her husband is dead is she legally allowed to use those eggs with his sperm to conceive a child? Are there restrictions? What if she remarries?

Asked on June 2, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sure that if you google this issue there will be a bunch of hits on it out there.  Thinking logically, the fertilized eggs were both yours and his "asset" and now that he has passed away they are part of his estate.  I would think that they would pass to you automatically and not be part of his general estate but I can not be sure about that without doing a little research on it.  Did he leave a Will leaving everything to you? Or the "rest residue and remainder" of the assets not specifically listed to you?  Then I would think that they would be yours to do with as you please.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption