Marriage green card

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Marriage green card

I am a U.S. citizen living in Australia with my fiance who is an Australian citizen. We will be taking a trip to the U..S. to get married next month. On our marriage license, I would like to change my maiden name. However, I won’.t have enough time on our brief trip to the U.S. to officially change my name on all my other ID’s/passport/SSN. Will the fact that my name on our marriage license not match my other forms of ID mess up my husband’s green card application based on our marriage?

Asked on May 19, 2019 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

no it does not matter if your name is not the same as your husband's or if your name is different on different documents.  as long as you are able to provide a documentary chain for why your name is now what it is (if different from that on your birth certificate) it should be fine.  please let me know if you have any additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption