Marriage end date for DS 160 ?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Marriage end date for DS 160 ?


I am applying for F-1 visa for a Doctorate in Electrical engineering from Louisiana
with full scholarship. I am applying from US embassy in Dubai.

I was briefly married in 2012 November and got a divorce filed in 2013 March. I
have been living seperately since 2013 March. I received my decree today and
even in that the date mentioned as living seperately from March 2013.

In the DS 160 form should I fill the marriage end date as 31st March 2013 as
mentioned in the decree or should it be the date when I got my decree ? B’cause I
dont want visa officer to think I applied for visa right after my divorce /

Please advice

Thank you,

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should answer the questions truthfully, so if you are talking about the date of the actual marriage termination you would indicate the decree date but as far as the actual residence history, you should indicate the reality of the circumstances, that you were living separately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption