Man came in my yard harassed me and i pushed him no he is charging me with 2nd degree assault is this legal?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Man came in my yard harassed me and i pushed him no he is charging me with 2nd degree assault is this legal?

Man and his family claim i hurt my dog, he came into my yard, started shouting and cursing in front of my 4-yr old, didn’t leave after 1st warning, got in my face and dared my to make him leave my protperty, i pushed him as a warning to leave and not to act that way infront of my children, he threatened that he would get me out of here. Animal control found no sign of harm to the animal and police noted he admitted to comin on my property. He told the officers that he wanted my arrested. I wasn’t now he’s filing 2nd degree assault is this legal? Can I press charges for trespaasing, harasment?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Maryland


R.S.T., Member, NY Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If what your describing is true, then it appears you acted in self-defense: of your property, your self, and your child.  I'd file a restraining order against him first in court for what he did. And his claims seem to be baseless unless, of course, you somehow provoked him to come unto your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption