How can I make sure that the terms of a Will are carried out?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I make sure that the terms of a Will are carried out?

My biological father left a Will in which myself and mother are listed. She retains property, vehicles, jewelry, etc, until she passes and then they are to pass to me. However my mother has 2 children of her own whomy father raised but never adopted. My mother wants to leave her home and property that my dad left to her to my half brother/sister. How do I insure that what my dad said about the things he intended on my mother having and then passing to me upon her death actually transpire.

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The items of the Will matters here.  What I mean is that how you Father structured the bequests to you and to your mother will give us an idea of what can and can not be done with the assets  by your Mother.  If he gave her the items outright then unfortunately there is little that you can do about her passing it on if a different manner than your Father hoped.  If, however, he gave her only a life estate in the house with you as a "remainderman" then you would receive the house when she passes.  If he left the items as part of a trust wth you as the remainderman of the trust then again, they would pass to you.  But if he left them to her outright then he left them to her discretion really.  Get an opinion from an attorney who can read the document.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption