making a claim against a funeral home for nonpayment to another business

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

making a claim against a funeral home for nonpayment to another business

We own a burial vault company. We sell our products to funeral homes in another state. This particular funeral home did business with us over the years. He no longer buys from us but has an outstanding bill of over $17,000. How do I go about collecting our money. We offered payment plans but nothing has been done.

Asked on August 31, 2017 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue them: that's how you get money from someone who does not pay for your products. You sue based on breach of contract: not honoring the agreement to pay you for the products. You did your side: you provided the products. If you perform your obligations under the agreement (whether it was written or oral), they are reciprocally obligated to perform their obligations and pay you.
You would sue the company if it is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, since those are their own legal "persons," separate from their owner(s). Othewise you sue the owner(s) personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption