What to do if a maintenance man came in to my apartment without my permission?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a maintenance man came in to my apartment without my permission?

Two days ago a stranger opened my door, came into my apartment and prepared to remove something without my permission and without any notification. At that time, my girlfriend was in bed and was awoken by him. She was scared so she shouted at him. At that time I was at work. When I got home, I asked the rent manager about this. The answer was that he was maintenance and was supposed to have gone to another apartment instead of mine. He has the keys to all the apartments. The rent manager said “sorry” but I feel that is not enough. Can I sue the rent company? Is it worth it?

Asked on August 21, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to write a letter to managment and the landlord about what transpired with the maintenance personnel coming into your apartment unannounced albeit it was a mistake by entering your unit instead of another one.

Mistakes like what occurred should not be happening when the property mananger is doing his or her job properly. The maintenace man should have contacted the tenant in the unit that was to have the work done before the actual maintenance date and time and made sure what unit was going to have work done.

You do not have a basis for suing the property manager for the mistake. However, you are owed an apology from not only the property manager, the landlord and the person who entered you unit by mistake.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption