Maine Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

In Maine, the name change procedure is much simpler than you might think. Actually, the process is mostly a matter of completing one easily accessible form and filing it with the register of probate in your county. Here is the information you need to easily complete this simple legal task on your own.

What forms are required for name change in Maine?

The following form is required to change your name in Maine:

  • Petition for Change of Name (Adult) (form CN-1)

This form can be found at Pine Tree Legal Assistance at

Where do I file the form for a Maine name change?

The completed form must be filed with the register of probate of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the form?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Maine?

Filing fees vary by court. Check with your local register of probate for more information.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Possibly, depending on the local rules for name changing. Check with the local register of probate.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Possibly, depending on the rules of your local court. Check with your local register of probate for more information.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption