Maine Name Change

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

In Maine, the name change procedure is much simpler than you might think. Actually, the process is mostly a matter of completing one easily accessible form and filing it with the register of probate in your county. Here is the information you need to easily complete this simple legal task on your own.

What forms are required for name change in Maine?

The following form is required to change your name in Maine:

• Petition for Change of Name (Adult) (form CN-1)

This form can be found at Pine Tree Legal Assistance at https://www.ptla.org/sites/ptla.org/files/CN-1.pdf

Where do I file the form for a Maine name change?

The completed form must be filed with the register of probate of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the form?

No.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Maine?

Filing fees vary by court. Check with your local register of probate for more information.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Possibly, depending on the local rules for name changing. Check with the local register of probate.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Possibly, depending on the rules of your local court. Check with your local register of probate for more information.