Lower pay

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Lower pay

I was hired at a job 5 months ago and signed a job description which listed me as a manager and purchaser. It also listed my pay which was much higher than my last job. New Link Destination
day, they told me that they would be reducing my pay and taking my manager duties away. I have never been written up or anything. My pay is now reduced to my last job’s pay. Is this allowed if I signed that document and was hired for that reason?

Asked on November 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is allowed unless the document you signed had a set length or duration (e.g. was a one- or two-year contract). If it had a set length or duration, then your pay is locked in for that time, though it can be changed when the time period runs out or expires. But if there was no set length or duration, then it does not affect the employer's right to change pay/compensation, title, duties, etc. at will, and so the employer could do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption