What are my rights to the return of lost item found by co-worker?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to the return of lost item found by co-worker?

In my workplace I thought I lost an item. I didn’t bring it to anyone’s attention because it was very small and I thought I lost it forever. I believe a co-worker has found it and doesn’t have any intention of giving it back. If I bring it to management’s attention, they can’t force her to bring in the item. It’s my word

against hers. What can/should I do ?

Asked on December 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is sue her for the value of the item in small claims court. If you can convince the court by a "preponderance of the evidence" (that is, that it is more likely than not) that this was your item, the court can order her to you its value. However, if you don't have any documentary or photorgraphic evidence (e.g. purchase receipt; photograph of you with the item; etc.) so it remains your word vs. hers, you are unlikely to win: as the person suing, the burden of proof is on you, which means that if the court cannot tell who is telling the truth, the defendant (the other person) wins.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption