What to do if I lost my 1-29 and I-797?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I lost my 1-29 and I-797?

I lost my I-129 and I-797 copies. I am in US and to process visa my dependents, now I am searching for these 2 copies. Can you please advise how can I get the duplicate copies of these. I enquired with my employer and they also don’t have these copies.

Asked on August 29, 2012 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you lost the originals you will need to apply to USCIS for duplicate copies and it may take a couple of months to get these.  Your employer should have a copy of these, however, since typically an attorney would make a copy of these documents for the file prior to sending you the originals.  If not, then you need to apply for a duplicate with USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption