If I loaned a friend money but they have ignored my requests for re-payment, what is my next step?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I loaned a friend money but they have ignored my requests for re-payment, what is my next step?

I loaned a friend $8,000 about 15 months ago. I have proof in the bank account of the money transfer and multiple e-mails requesting repayment. After being dodged and ignored for months on end I have decided it’s time to pursue a much more aggressive stance. I’m basically wondering what my options are as of this point. I need the money back desperately and I’m at my wits end.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you loane a friend $8,000 15 months ago and have not received any payment on the loan, i would write the friend one last letter stating the need for him or her to start making monthly payments back to you on the loan starting by a set date. Included in the letter should be a promissory note (forms for such can be found online) to be dated, signed and returned to you by a certain date.

I would keep all correspondence sent to your friend for future use and need. If you get no response to the last demand letter, your option is to file a lawsuit for the money owed. Unfortunately the $8,000 owed exceeds the jurisdiction of most small claims courts in the states in this country. You might need to consult with an attorney that practices contract law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption