If my husband dies, amI’m entitled to keep the house?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband dies, amI’m entitled to keep the house?

The loan in on his name but the lot were the house is built is in our names. I’m worry because lately he has done things behind my back, like changed the beneficiaries on his IRA and funds to his kid’s names, even though I was as a beneficiary as well. Now, they have only his children. This is my second marriage and from his previous marriage he has 4 grown children who are all married and have good jobs; in fact  better incomes than him. Please let me know what can I do so I won’t lose my house?

Asked on January 20, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

State laws are different. Check a local attorney to make sure. If you live in a community property state, all he can do is to will away his half of the house, not your half. It also depends on how the title was written and when the house was purchased. It could get quite complicated and you should consult a local attorney in person to find out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption