How do I hire an arbitrator?

All that it takes to hire an arbitrator is for the parties to agree on a specific person or agency and contact them to determine if s/he is willing to take the case. If you have agreed to have the arbitration handled according to the rules of a particular association, the association may handle the process for you.

How can I find an arbitrator?

In some instances, if you have signed an arbitration clause with a company, the contract will specify exactly who your arbitrator will be. In other instances, however, you may decide to arbitrate on your own, such as if you want to avoid divorce litigation. In such instances, there are some things you should consider before hiring an arbitrator claiming to be qualified.

Who can be an arbitrator?

With the increasing demand and credibility for alternative dispute methods such as arbitration, states are now requiring certain criteria to be met in order to practice as an arbitrator. The criteria are different for each state, so you should contact your state’s bar association to find out the requirements for your area.

How many arbitrators should I find?

You usually only need to find one arbitrator to hear a case. Sometimes an arbitration agreement (or the rules of an association that are incorporated by reference in the agreement) will provide for three or more neutral arbitrators. There are always an odd number of arbitrators so that a decision can be made by a majority.

How can I find out about a specific arbitrator?

When you’re involved in any type of arbitration, you need to do your homework on any party claiming to be a qualified arbitrator before hiring him and trusting them with the details of your business or personal life. The decision made by an arbitrator is going to be legally binding, unlike with a mediator. While you can technically appeal a decision made in arbitration, the appellate court is deferential to the arbitrator, so they aren’t going to change any decision the arbitrator makes unless there was some major problem with the arbitration proceedings.