If a listing has expired with realtor and I made an offer ut it was refused, how long is he obligated to the agent?

UPDATED: May 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a listing has expired with realtor and I made an offer ut it was refused, how long is he obligated to the agent?

The listing agent didn’t want to show me the property. I made an offer through another agent. We couldn’t come to terms. Listing has expired. Owner contacted me and wants to sell me the property. How long is he obligated to the listing agent since I looked at the property while it was under her listing?

Asked on May 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with a real estate attorney in your area about the law in your state.  You first need to realize that in the sale of real property it is the seller who is obligated to pay the sales commission so they are the ones that need to worry here.  And I think that ethically they may owe the money.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption