lifetime right, but already willed out, do I have to have their signature?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

lifetime right, but already willed out, do I have to have their signature?

I am fixing to buy a home, and put it on my family farm. My grandmother has a lifetime right to the property, but my father’s name is on the deed. Do I need both of their signatures or only my fathers to transfer ownership of one acre to me?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


GW, Member, Michigan and Hawaii Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not licensed in your jurisdiction, but this seems fairly elementary if I understand the question correctly. If grandmother has a life estate in the property, she'll need to sign the deed. If father's name is on the current deed, he'll need to sign too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption