Life insurance benefit

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Life insurance benefit

Where i work i have a benefit of a
lifeinsurance policy which they deduct
a small amount of money from my
paycheck. They let the policy lapse 2
months ago, but continued to take the
deduction from my pay. They since
rectified the issue Am i entitled to
that money during the time i didn’t
have coverage?

Asked on February 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are entitled to a return of that money: they may not take money from you without providing the benefit they promised to, and if you did not receive the promised benefit, you could sue for "breach of contract" to get your money back. Or at least, that's the theory. The problem is, if they don't voluntarily repay you, you'd have to sue for the money, and whether it is worth filing and pursuing a lawsuit--especially against your employer--for the amount of money in question is a very different question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption