Lien on property with summons

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Lien on property with summons

my son has a property he hasn’t paid taxes on
for 4 yrs. No has a summons with a lien on it.
Has to report to court. If he pays all taxes
and fees can he keep the property?
What dies he need for court?

Asked on August 8, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Not seeing the summons, etc. to which you refer, we cannot provide a 100% definitive answer about your son's specific case. That said, as a general matter, when you get a summons in a court case involving a failure to pay property taxes and a tax lien, the court case is your chance to either 1) pay all amounts (including late fees as well as back taxes), which is what the government really wants, anyway--they want their money, not the property; or 2) to prove that the case was brought in error--for example, that you paid all amounts due, but they failed to properly credit them. If you can't pay or prove the case wrong, you can and likely will lose the property; but if you do pay everything due, you should be able to keep it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption