How can I have sole ownership on my deceased mother’s heir property if I choose to pay the tax lien amount in full?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I have sole ownership on my deceased mother’s heir property if I choose to pay the tax lien amount in full?

I have 4 siblings who are ignoring my requests to pool together and pay it, $5500. I feel that if I pay the lien amount, the property should belong to me.

Asked on January 19, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, paying the lien will NOT give you sole ownership: paying an expense for inherited property does not change ownership. At most, it will give you a reasonable claim to seek reimbursement of the amount you pay from either estate funds (i.e. estate bank accounts--if any) or from the proceeds of the sale of the property if/when it is sold (i.e. for you to be reimbursed the $5,500 before the remaining proceeds are divided among those who inherited).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption