Is it legal to suspend your license due to a civil judgement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to suspend your license due to a civil judgement?

My daughter was in an accident when she was 16 and now that she is 18 they have suspended her

license due to a judgement awarded against her. She was driving our vehicle which was fully

insured but she was not on the policy yet. I understand this is probably a mess up on my part as a parent but I don’t see how they can make this a DMV problem when she paid the ticket did the

community service and anything that was involved with the traffic part of it. How can I fix this? I do not have a lot of money.

Asked on November 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if a driver does not satisfy a judgment against them, then the injured party can ask the court to suspend their license until such time that the judgment is paid.  However, considering that your daughter was a minor at the time, she should be able to apply for a hardship license so that she can still drive to work or school.  This is usually cheaper than having to fork over the funds for a huge judgment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption