Libel for damages

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Libel for damages

I left my job for a new job. I had an accident at work. I was leaving on the company truck
to make a delivery. I opened the door to leave and as I was driving out the door came
down and I damaged the door but no damage to the truck. The company is planning to
sue me for a new door and damage to the truck. Am I libel for damages even if I was
using a company truck, was on company property and time?

Asked on March 16, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

IF you were negligent or careless in damaging the door and truck (or did it deliberately/intentionally, for that matter), you can be liable for any costs to repair. The fact that you were on company property and time does not mean that you are not responsible for your damage IF you were at fault--that is the key factor: you are only liable under the law if at fault, which means acting negligently (carelessly) or intentionally causing damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption