What can I do regarding libel?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding libel?

I have a restraining order against my ex who violated it 10 times in a month.

He was convicted twice and sentenced to a month in jail. While he was in jail,

his girlfriend sent messages to my employer, pretending to be me, claiming that I

was mentally ill and trying to take my kids away from my ex. A criminal

investigation is being conducted. They were able to connect the IP address of

the message directly to her internet provider. I do know she has a house, some

assets. What are my options of suing for libel and do I have any other legal options?

Asked on October 8, 2018 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she claimed to be you, you could also sue for--and press charges for--identity theft. You could sue for libel, as you indicate--for her making false factual assertions which damage your reputation. And you could sue for "tortious interference with economic advantage"--trying to use "tortious" (or wrongful) means to damage your working relationship and so damage you economically.
Therefore, you have several possible causes of action. You should speak to a personal injury attorney (they don't just do car crashes and slip-and-fall cases; they also work on matters like this) to discuss taking legal action. Many lawyers provide a free initial consultation to evaluate cases; you can inquire about that before making the appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption