Liability issues for adult son

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Liability issues for adult son

I live in Nebraska and if my 20 year old son is in an accident that is his fault
can I be held responsible for any liability. The car title is in my name and it
is under my insurance. I have up to 500000 liability on my policy.

Asked on April 28, 2016 under Accident Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if your son is at fault in the accident (e.g. driving negligently, or carelessly, such as driving too fast for conditions, texting while driving, DUI, going through a stop light or sign, etc.), you would be liable, since the owner of a vehicle (i.e. you, since it is titled in your name) is liable for the at-fault accidents of those whom he or she lets drive his or her car (i.e., anyone who drives with permission, rather than stealing). Of course, your insurance may cover, but if your son is a regular driver but is not listed as an additional driver, the insurer would have good grounds to deny coverage, as they would if he is DUI or DWI.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption