letter to move with no rental agreement

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

letter to move with no rental agreement

I got a letter on the 6th of June to pay 975.00 by the 1st of June…I know not possible. My son and I have been living in a cottage behind the main house for 4 years now rent free. We agreed that I would help her with whatever she needed help with in exchange for letting us stay there, although neither of us probably thought it would be this long. I cant afford to pay that and cant afford to move at this time either. What can I do? Do I have any rights?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You don't have an agreement in place? If you, what does it say and for how long?

If not, this person can change the terms without a writing but giving you until next month. In other words, this person cannot back date a due date on an agreement that wasn't in place before.  So, in essence, you really have until mid July to get out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption