let car repocesied or let someone take over paymennt

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

let car repocesied or let someone take over paymennt

I finaced a car for my daughter and now she lost her job and none of us can afford the payment, should i let the car go back to the bank or allow my brother inlaw take over payments? either way iam on the hook,( Do you have any idea’s which way to go? or another way) ive already file bankruptcy last year so we cant go that route.

Asked on June 24, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

We cannot give you that advice.  We do not serve as your legal counsel, so you will need to choose the better route.  Clearly, you understand that by defaulting on this loan (repossession, voluntary or otherwise), will be a negative impact on your credit, as well as your daughter's if she is the primary.

See if your brother in law will pay -- but that would require your ability to sell the vehicle to him and see if your lender will let you do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption