Am I liable for injury or death if I lend my neighbor an extension ladder and he falls?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for injury or death if I lend my neighbor an extension ladder and he falls?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Personal Injury, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Potentially you could be responsible for any injuries that your neighbor sustains as the result of a defective ladder that you lend him or her if it fails and inury or death results if you failed to maintain the ladder in good condition or failed to disclose that there was something wrong with it before the loan.

If the neighbor falls as a reult of poor positioning of the ladder, then the ladder itself is not defective, your neighbor was careless in its placement or somehow went off balance and fell.

I suggest you carefully look at the ladder and make sure that it is in good condition before you loan it out taking photographs of it before the loan.

Good luck to you and your neighbor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption