Can my wife legally kick me out of house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife legally kick me out of house?

My wife and have been married for 1 year 5 months. Things aren’t going well and I was wondering if she could call the cops and have me removed from our apartment? I have nor would I ever lay a hand on her. If I tell her that I want a divorce, she will try to kick me out. If there is no physical contact or arguing, can she have me kicked out? I just want to stay here until I find a place of my own.

Asked on November 27, 2018 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, your wife cannot just kick you out, no matter whose name in on the lease. The fact is that unless and until there is a legal separation agreement in effect or a final decree of divorce has been issued which states just which one of you has a right to exclusively live in the apatment, it remains the "joint marital residence". this means that you both have a right to occupy it. That having been said, if your wife ever claims that she has been put in fear of her safety, then she can have you removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption