Is it egal to give me a 14% rent increase with just 36 days notice?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it egal to give me a 14% rent increase with just 36 days notice?

They offered me 3 different rent prices for terms of stay and since we decided not to stay, the lease defaults into a month-to-month. However the month-to-month rent increase is 14%. Is this legal to not give us 60 days notice for this (no set amount of month-to-month increase listed in the lease)?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is rent control for the unit that you are now renting on a month-to-month basis, I see no legal basis why your landlord cannot increase your rent by the 14% with just 36 days notice given to you. From what I see, it is apparent that your landlord wants you to seek another place to live or enter into a relatively long lease (1 year for example).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption