What to do if my stepson’s father refuses to sign a release for a trip by a make a wish organization?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my stepson’s father refuses to sign a release for a trip by a make a wish organization?

My stepson is a cancer survivor that has been granted a wish through an organization. The organization requests a release be signed by my wife’s ex-husband in order for him to go to Hawaii. His father refuses to sign the release unless he can go too. I’m not sure if it is a liability issue on the organizations part or what. Would we have any legal remedy to force the issue with his father? The organization does want to review a copy of the divorce decree to verify any loophole.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although I think that it is unfortuante to have the child miss out on such an opportunity that he so deserves, I can understand hi Father's concern - which is I hope a concern for his saety and not just for a trip to Hawaii - and he can legally refuse to sign.  What I would do is go and seek legal help yourself about the matter and ask about petitioning the court to allow him to go.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption