What is my legal recourse against an ex-spouse for misuse of payoff funds?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my legal recourse against an ex-spouse for misuse of payoff funds?

As part of my divorce decree, I paid approximately $84,000 for the difference between equity in our former home, investments, personal property minus combined debts. She never paid approximately $35,000 in her debt. Do I have any recourse in these funds?

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read your maritial dissolution agreemnt with respect to the debt pay off in that most likely you are still obligated on the pay out to your creditors despite the marital dissolution agreement where your former spouse is obligated to make her share of the debt per the court order.

The best way to protect yourself  and to possibly get the debt paid off is to file a petition for an order to show cause re contempt against your former spouse for non-payment of the debt. You should consult with a family law attorney to assist you in such an endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption